Company Overview: This client is a leading global flooring manufacturer that
creates products to enhance residential and commercial spaces around the world. Their vertically integrated manufacturing
and distribution processes provide competitive advantages in the production of carpet, rugs, ceramic tile, laminate, wood,
stone and vinyl flooring. Their industry-leading innovation has yielded products and technologies that differentiate their
brands in the marketplace and satisfy all remodeling and new construction requirements. Their brands are among the
most recognized in the industry with operations in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Europe, India, Malaysia, Mexico,
Russia and the United States.
Position: The Packaging
Engineer – Purchasing will actively manage a large number of supplier relationships with a focus on cost reduction,
service, consistency, high-quality, and process improvement. He, or she, will set sourcing strategy in a cross functional
environment on packaging related commodities. The ideal candidate will have the ability to perform lead duties, providing
task related direction, and advice to junior team members either in direct or indirect reporting relationship.
- Proactively seeks out new suppliers/materials and captures
market-driven cost saving opportunities through awareness of market drivers, negotiations, and synergistic opportunities
while simultaneously improving quality and operating efficiencies
- Energetically participates in new product
development process as the primary purchasing resource for finding and selecting new product components and suppliers,
with an aptitude for technical detail and manufacturing processes across a wide variety of raw material types.
regularly with suppliers and provides data driven feedback on supplier performance
- Assists Sourcing
leadership in data gathering and analysis, providing recommendations, and research in purchasing decisions of
- Promote a strong liaison with appropriate personnel across all business units and foster
good working relationships with suppliers.
- Proposes and helps lead projects related to material
cost reduction and quality improvement using a data-driven approach. Coordinates efforts among Purchasing, Production,
and suppliers to reduce material costs while ensuring quality.
- Learns suppliers’ processes at
a technical level in order to better identify mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Helps build and
issue forecasts of anticipated material consumption to external suppliers, sister-companies, and internal groups
such as Finance.
- Assists and leads in accurately setting up new product details within internal
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree
in Packaging “Engineering” or equivalent with preferred training in operations, supply chain,
business, or finance.
Experience: Requires a minimum of 3-7 years experience in managing Packaging and other commodities in a corporate Purchasing
or Engineering role for large multi plant manufacturing companies.
- Good oral, written, presentation and interpersonal communications skills; ability
to effectively exercise tact, discretion, judgment and diplomacy when interacting and/or negotiating with internal
and external customers, and senior management, etc.
- Ability to maintain high level of accuracy and pay
great attention to detail while producing high volumes under time constraints.
- Ability to manage
situations where there has been no prior exposure or for which no clear road map exists
- Ability to challenge
the status quo, including the persistence and willingness to take calculated risk, to stimulate, market and
sell new ideas within the organization.
- Ability to perform in a high pressure environment and/or crisis
situation and render good decisions to resolve the problems, maintain safety and ensure adherence to Corporate Code
- Strong sense of personal and professional ethics.
- Ability to manage
change in high tempo environment.
- Flooring industry experience helpful but not required.
- Proven track record of process and continuous improvement.
- Six Sigma certification is a plus.
- Ability to take on other indirect commodities over time.
- Supervisory experience a plus.
- Ability to strategically think and problem solve from complex or diverse information; Collects and researches
data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong relationship
building with Operations, Engineering, and leadership in a matrix environment.
- High proficiency
with all Microsoft applications.