Overview: This company
was founded in 1876 and operates worldwide and employs approximately 50,000 people globally. The company holds leading positions
with its strong brands, innovations and technologies.
With strong positions in attractive markets the company is continuing
to meet new and changing demands with leading innovations, brands and technologies. It does so while meeting customer and
consumer demands for innovation, quality, service and sustainability.
Senior Packaging Engineer is capable of managing all types of packaging programs for a business unit. Is seen as a technical
expert in the field by team members and is a key technical lead on project teams. Supports the packaging functional team
with technical expertise. Identifies and assesses moderately complex technical problems and provides solutions and recommendations-
knows when to seek guidance and technical support from others. Manages assigned packaging projects in a proactive manner.
Is building technical leadership skills on the packaging functional team by developing own technical competency. Provides
clear technical direction for projects. Serves as a technical mentor to co-ops and entry level engineers.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Evaluates and recommends efficient packing procedures, innovations in packaging materials,
and utilization of automation where needed.
- Develops and designs new packaging for safe, convenient
and attractive transport of products under a variety of conditions.
- Develops packaging material standards
- Reviews existing test methods and develops new test methods where applicable.
- Evaluates packaging and transporting methods and procedures to ensure compliance with safety and quality
- Develops engineering drawings and specifications with suppliers to determine materials
and design required to maximize convenience, utility and function based on the product’s physical characteristics,
including safety and special-handling requirements.
- Designs and coordinates laboratory tests plant trials
to assess technical feasibility in the qualification of new materials, and equipment.
- Provides technical
support to ensure quality standards, package performance, and continued supply of products and packaging materials.
Participates on continuous improvement teams.
- May oversee the coordination of activities at contract packaging
and labeling sites. Oversees exterior package design to ensure proper product identification, consumer appeal,
printing appearance, and production techniques.
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Packaging
Engineering or equivalent related degree.
3-8 years of relevant packaging engineering experience with direct experience in package engineering projects.
Other Skills and Abilities:
ability to execute projects on time and on budget with minimal guidance from manager.
- Proactively anticipates
issues and determines contingency plans.
- Sets realistic timelines and testing plans.
well with cross functional partners to execute projects with excellence
- Technical background in Packaging,
- Solid understanding of materials, and packaging applications.
to solve moderately complex technical issues without support
- Communicates in a timely, concise and
effective manner, both written and verbally.
- Experience presenting to V.P. levels in the organization
without support from management