Search - Since
B.S. Degree in Packaging or equivalent
Up to 25%
Director of Materials Management
Prefer local but
may assist a renter
Their products are packaged as spreads,
dips and logs that entail using rigid and flexible plastics and paperboard. This is a new position (first Packaging
Engineer) so there is a lot of opportunity and visibility.
DESCRIPTION - DUTIES
Company Overview: This
company is a US subsidiary of an European parent company that has been in business since in the US since the mid 1970’s.
It is a specialty foods products company that has established itself as a leader in their niche market sector.
Position: The Packaging Engineer will
manage the Research and Development of new and existing packaging structures and graphics management of the packaging
required for all of the manufacturing plants of the Company and Co-pack manufacturing partners.
- Packaging Development
Research and Development for procurement of new and experimental materials and enhance quality and efficiencies
of existing packaging.
- Supports development for new products – structure, specifications, graphics,
- Keeping up-to-date with technological innovations in the packaging industry.
CAD system for new packaging design, visual conception and sales mock-ups.
- Provides packaging cost estimations
for Purchasing and Finance Departments.
- Conducts cost management initiatives in partnership with the
Purchasing Department – qualification of new sources, new specifications, etc.
- Evaluation of materials
from suppliers for the purpose of approving alternate sources or specifications.
- Evaluation of packaging
from suppliers in support of new product development.
- Establishing and controlling production
and quality standards for packaging machinery.
- Interfacing with purchasing staff, production operators
and supervisors, machine vendors and packaging suppliers to obtain relevant information for development.
best practices of packaging operations with the support of packing suppliers, machine vendors and 3rd party
- Developing packaging specifications and ensuring accurate data base for Purchasing.
COC’s required for direct food contact packaging and ensuring data base for QA and auditors.
in-house Quality checks on packaging materials and reporting Non-conformances to Purchasing.
- Checking packaging
for suitability and testing for performance under various conditions
- Developing training tools and
conduct training sessions for operations and maintenance staff on packaging production standards.
operations to insure compliance and implement corrective actions as warranted.
- Manage and report
on Production Trials.
- Problem solve on packaging lines and assist with efficiency improvement processes
and TPM projects.
- Systems Integration:
- Monitor and train on New Product Development processes
- Control and develop case and unit labeling processes in coordination with customers’
needs and internal business needs.
- Food Safety and Product Quality
- This position is
responsible for supporting the food safety management system and for communicating food safety issues to the
REQUIREMENTS - BACKGROUND
Education: Requires a Bachelor's degree in Packaging or technical/engineering equivalent.
Experience: Requires a minimum of 3-8 years of packaging development/engineering experience. It is preferred
that a person be from a food packaging background but the company might possibly consider a strong local candidate with
appropriate consumer products and relevant packaging materials experience. To consider a 3 year person they would
need to be a person with a solid 3 years of food packaging experience.
Desired Qualifications - Competencies:
- Ability to think ahead and plan over a two-year time span.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Problem analysis and problem
resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Project management processes – planning, analysis,
resource deployment and control.
- Tactical execution of tasks for process improvement.
- Knowledge of food
manufacturing and packaging.
- Knowledge of printing processes.
- Experience in lean
- Computer proficiency.
- SAP or MRP/ERP systems knowledge.
- CAD systems knowledge.
- Leadership: a demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Technical Capacity.
- Financial Management.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Decision Making.
- Customer Focused
- Supervisory Responsibility
- This position has no supervisory
- IOPP – Institute of Packaging Professionals Certification or Membership.a
- This position requires up to 25% travel. Frequently travel is outside the local area
Contact us to discuss this opportunity -
Quality Search, 1820 Graham Drive • Chesterton • IN • 46304-1627 • (219)
926-5015 (HQ) • www.qsjobs.com