Company Overview: This company is a privately held, family owned Food
company has been in operation since 1933. It is a market leader and innovator in shelf stable food products. Continued
growth has resulted in the need for a Packaging Research Engineer.
Position: The Packaging Research Engineer will provide technical leadership and support for new package
development, packaging material issues, material testing, material specifications, and cost reduction for products.
Also, manage development of new packaging design and existing packaging revisions to ensure package attributes meet all
legal, artistic, and technical specifications within the project timeline. This position also will require the skills
necessary to manage projects from Concept through Commercialization, working closely with Technology, Operations, Marketing,
and other functional partners as needed. This position will allow the incumbent to gain exposure to multiple levels of
management, representing Package Development on key initiatives.
1. Execute Package Development projects as defined by the Company Strategic Plan, working with a cross-functional team
to ensure budgets, timelines, consumer/customer needs and Quality and Operational goals are met. This will include
leading research and development of packages for products and changes/optimization of existing packages.
2. Lead Innovation exploration with suppliers to investigate new technologies, material advancement,
and design opportunities that may be used both currently and for future products.
3. Manage Productivity tracker of all Packaging related projects identified with cross-functional
teams and Acting as project manager for these projects, the Packaging Developer will drive aspects of each project as
it relates to managing workloads and ensuring others responsible for completing tasks are doing so in a timely manner. This
track will require working with Procurement, Operations and Marketing to understand size and scope of opportunities.
Monthly updates to key personnel will be scheduled to ensure alignment on status and prioritization.
4. Lead efforts to identify and implement packaging material cost reduction and optimization measures,
including correct size, material, construction, and supplier. Organize and coordinate necessary testing.
5. Provide technical support to Marketing/Sales, Technology, and Operations teams in troubleshooting
and solving packaging material performance problems and providing package features and benefits important to customers.
6. On packaging capital projects, work closely with Technology/Engineering to ensure packing materials and packaging
machinery are compatible.