Company: This company,
with revenues in excess of $9 billion, offers a range of home and personal care products. The company provides a variety
of automatic dishwashing, fabric treatment and surface care options. It offers multipurpose cleaners, pest controls and
antiseptic personal care products. The company also provides depilatories and fabric and health care products. With annual
revenue of more than...
Position: This position is part of the North America Research &
Development Function and reports to the Regional Packaging Development Manager. The Packaging Development Engineer/Technologist
will specialize in Custom Manufacturing, E-commerce, embellishment packaging, Regional R&D, North America. The role
will provide key technical support on various projects from concept through commercialization. The incumbent will serve
and be viewed as a contributing technical subject matter expert with emphasis on embellishment package development practices
within the department. The work scope is related but not limited to innovation, cost savings, brand maintenance and/or
business requests. The individual will be expected to accomplish objectives through their individual contributions as well
as indirect reporting relationships within the department, factory, and company supplier base.
Technical Knowledge / Acumen:
- Identify the material requirements, draft specifications
and applicable testing procedures to ensure projects deliver efficient cost, line performance, package quality,
supply chain robustness, and fulfill consumer requirements.
- Possesses and applies a basic
understanding of industry knowledge and capable of developing a technical foundation to build to an expert in research
and data analysis to create best in class products
- Creates packaging material specifications, associated
drawings, and packaging procedural specifications to provide required technical information necessary to support
the product/packaging configurations.
- Create components and items within the enterprise resource
planning module to populate the Company technical document system for packaging documentation
as the technical expert and face of packaging in communication to the broader community of Marketing, Sales,
and Supply Services & Plant manufacturing organizations.
- Applies technical packaging
knowledge and information to solve problems and provide solutions based on risk and benefit assessments. Apply
fundamental packaging principles in recognizing potential issues and identifies timely and cost effective solutions
- Basic understanding of the technical requirements and consideration of customer design requirements
(e.g. – Club stores/e-commerce specifically) and category (VMS, PC, SWB, IFCN, Health) constraints.
leads and attends packaging manufacturer and Company plant trials to assist in evaluation and problem resolution.
to execute against defined tasks within a project on cross functional teams, able to work independently on projects
where incumbent is the lead. Assess feedback from manager and indirect reporting relationships to ensure
ongoing alignment to priorities.
- Conduct lab analysis, production line trials and supplier testing
as needed on related projects. Generate and analyze collected data to drive technical and business recommendations.
in project meetings, issues related to documentation, supports project timeline development and able to deliver against
assigned tasks, manage project communications down and across the business as appropriate.
- Conduct root
cause analysis and apply trouble shooting techniques to solve for technical issues and performance challenges.
testing of Custom Manufacturing components and packaging items within Company and third party facilities.
the development of packaging cost models and scenarios comparing alternatives to recommend ideal solutions.
leads small to medium scale factory projects, coordinating amongst peers and able to report out results, risks and
- Analyzes the industry/customer/prime prospect dynamics, scientific/technical feasibility, and market
viability in all aspects of the Supply/R&D process to build innovative solutions that enhance organizational value.
the identification and development of enabling technologies that drive breakthrough new packages, cost savings
and/or core renovation initiatives.
- Effectively partner with the business to commercialize packaging
solution for small to medium project/programs and lead small projects/programs. Partner with department staff
to effectively support large projects and programs.
- Support the research of equipment solutions at the
front end, support identifying innovative technologies or appropriate existing technologies for the organization,
for transition to Engineering.
- Work across all functions, including the balance of R&D, Operations, Quality,
Engineering, Commercial, Procurement and Suppliers to support project launches as need.
- Fundamental capability to support modify existing
packages by taking them from the bench, pilot plant and commercial scale based on customer or consumer needs.
- Design and develop Customer Manufacturing products that include Warehouse Club, Point of sale displays,
promotional SKU’s, and E-commerce items as well as packaging for existing products in support of Company Health
- Demonstrated high-level of contribution to cross-functional/multi-disciplined
teams operating in a dynamic, result-oriented environment.
- Experience communicating and
networking effectively with a diverse audience at peer set levels
- Experience with fiber packaging,
high barrier rigid and flexible packaging substrates and/or hybrid applications combining multiple substrate
- Experience in OTC consumer goods manufacturing and packaging principles as it relates
to packaging design.
- Basic experience in problem analysis and resolution, statistical methods, and
design of experiments.
- Exposure to US good manufacturing regulatory requirements in relation to Packaging.
2- 6 years of relevant and experience with progressive responsibilities and project leadership in the consumer products,
OTC, Nutraceutical, or food packaging industry specific to embellishment finished goods.
Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging, Package Engineering, or Packaging
- Strong knowledge of science and technology discovery, design, and development processes, information
- Basic understanding on how to translate consumer and customer insights into packaging features
that add benefit.
- Able to embody design theories and output packaging solutions that can be
- Understanding of rigid and flexible polymeric materials and their manufacturing
and converting process (blow molding, injection molding, thermoforming, film and sheet conversion).
- Business skills that drive initiatives through an organization.
- The ability to deal with ambiguity
and deploy effective use of creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to organize and present
technical and project management overviews without assistance.
- Knowledge in packaging equipment
systems including qualifications and validation practices.
- Effective and proactive and
written communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills handling or supporting multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to embrace and live company’s Mission, Vision and Values.
efficiency with MS Office, Esko Cape/Artios Cad, & Infor Optiva. ERP systems (SAP/JDE) and Solid
Works exposure is a plus.