Company: For over three decades this privately held company with approximately 4,000 employees and revenues in
excess of $2B has been growing, most recently at 15%/year. They have 6 manufacturing plants and they produce and
distribute nutritional, pharmaceutical, personal care, facial care, home hygiene, and other wellness products. They
market directly to the consumer through a full-service catalog and Internet shopping system.
The Principal Packaging Engineer will perform a wide variety of technical tasks in support of specific new or existing
Company products, under the supervision of the Packaging Manager. Provide technical guidance on packaging material
selection and design. Recommends/specifies appropriate product packaging, as well as solves existing package related
issues. These tasks are highly specific and usually require the use of quantitative methods and the application of technical
judgment to assist in the development of new packaging or to troubleshoot problems with existing packaging configurations.
Will also manage special projects as needed.
- Develop packaging
solutions for new and existing products.
- Work with Marketing, R&D, Production, Engineering, &
external partners to evaluate, qualify, & recommend new designs & prototypes.
competitive products, Company products, and trial compositions according to established procedures.
samples & perform required tests for trial compositions & packaging.
- Evaluate and
measure packaging components & technical drawings to determine acceptability for use.
accurate records of test results and observations; specifically lab notebooks & electronic records.
communication of critical information between key internal customer groups (Marketing, Operations, R&D, etc.)
operate, and maintain packaging test equipment.
- Provide support to US and International Operations
to solve packaging-related manufacturing problems.
- Create & maintain packaging component specifications.
weekly Category team meetings as a Packaging representative for the R&D Department.
- Use all available
physical & electronic resources to research technical problems and find solutions independently.
ownership of all packaging related issues within the company for both domestic and international products.
- Mentor and train
Lab Technicians as needed under the direction of the Packaging Manager.
- Represent the R&D/Packaging
Dept. in support of QA, Operations, Purchasing, and Marketing activities.
- Coordinate line trials of new/alternate
packaging components with Production & Engineering.
- Coordinate with China Manufacturing
and international markets to oversee development and localization of new packaging.
- Oversee the
creation of custom tooling projects for packaging components, including in-house molding projects.
and summarize experimental designs incorporating multiple samples and variables.
- Train R&D
associates in the use of laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Perform and/or manage special
projects under the direction of the Packaging Section Manager or VP of R&D.
- Create &
refine Standard Operating Procedures and Policies for packaging related processes & activities.
- Lead one or more cross-functional task force teams related to continuous product improvement.
- Document status of projects weekly to the Packaging Manager.
- Maintain Company corporate confidentiality
& ethical standards for all interactions with outside vendors, suppliers, and other parties.
other duties as assigned or needed.
Bachelor of Science degree (Packaging, Material
Science, or Engineering background preferred).
Requires 10 or more years of direct packaging
industry experience. Previous work experience in the food and/or nutritional supplement industry is required.
Experience with flexible packaging (stickpacks, sachets, stand-up pouches, flow-wrap, etc.) is preferred. Certified
Packaging Professional (CPP) certification preferred
- Ability to research information using printed material,
internet resources, telephone, etc. to find solutions to problems.
- Previous work experience in
consumer products companies (food products, personal care, cosmetics, home cleaners, etc.) is preferred.
- Previous experience with Good Manufacturing Practices with expertise in Food/Supplement Packaging &
OTC products preferred.
- Knowledge of commonly used lab instruments (e.g. balance/scales, calipers, etc.).
Package testing equipment experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with material testing procedures, such
as ASTM, SPI, ISTA, etc.
- Familiarity with packaging-specific software (CAPE, TOPS, etc.)
- Familiarity or proficiency in 3D CAD software (Solidworks, etc.)
- Familiarity or proficiency with
IntellaPac specification software.
- Just as important as your experience and skills will be the
following characteristics and competencies:
- A natural orientation for continuous improvement
and problem solving.
- A collaborative approach and willingness to engage in an environment of
active idea sharing.
- Sharp organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced
- The ability to produce consistent quality under deadline pressure while paying
careful attention to detail.
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze problems
and create solutions.
- Detailed work and organizational skills.
- Ability to
work independently and professionally.