Ideal candidate will
be a “Do-er” with multi-disciplinary experience with direct, relevant product development experience. He, or
she, will work with CPG products (specifically food & supplements, beauty, personal care, OTC products, and/or home
cleaning products.). Other products also include vitamins, sports nutrition, weight management and healthy snacking
product lines. This is a fairly high-profile job with the direct ability to make a noticeable impact on the success of
the company. There is a high level of autonomy and you will not be the proverbial and irrelevant cog in a wheel of a machine.
Company: For over three
decades this privately held company with approximately 4,000 employees and revenues in excess of $2B has been growing, most
recently at 15%/year. They have 6 manufacturing plants and they produce and distribute nutritional, pharmaceutical,
personal care, facial care, home hygiene, and other wellness products. They market directly to the consumer through
a full-service catalog and Internet shopping system.
Position: The Packaging Engineer will perform a wide variety of technical
tasks in support of specific new or existing Company products, under the supervision of the Packaging Section Manager.
He, or she, will provide technical guidance on packaging material selection and design. In addition they will recommend/specify
appropriate product packaging, as well as solve existing package related issues. These tasks are highly specific and usually
require the use of quantitative methods and the application of technical judgment to assist in the development of new
packaging or to troubleshoot problems with existing packaging configurations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop packaging solutions for new and existing CPG products. Work with
Marketing, R&D, Production, Engineering, & external partners to evaluate, qualify, & recommend new
designs & prototypes.
- Evaluate competitive products, Company products, and trial compositions according
to established procedures.
- Work with Packaging Technicians to prepare samples & perform weight loss,
compatibility, and functionality tests for trial compositions & packaging.
packaging components & technical drawings to determine acceptability for use.
- Maintain accurate
records of test results and observations; specifically lab notebooks & electronic records.
communication of critical information between key internal customer groups (Marketing, Operations, R&D, etc.)
operate, and maintain packaging test equipment.
- Provide support to Operations to solve packaging-related
- Create & maintain packaging component specifications.
and approve Finished Good specifications and other packaging-related paperwork maintained by Document Control.
weekly Category team meetings as a subject-matter expert representative for the R&D Department.
all available physical & electronic resources to research technical problems and find appropriate solutions
- Take ownership of all packaging related issues within the company for both domestic
and international products.
- Document status of projects weekly to the Packaging Manager.
- Mentor and train
Lab Technicians as needed.
- Represent the R&D/Packaging Dept. in support of QA, Operations, Purchasing,
and Marketing activities.
- Coordinate line trials of new or alternate packaging components as part of the
qualification process with Production & Engineering.
- Coordinate and work with China Manufacturing and
INTL markets to oversee development and localization of new packaging
- Oversee the creation of custom
tooling projects for packaging components, including in-house molding projects.
- Obtain information
and samples from Company suppliers for testing and evaluation.
- Perform and summarize experimental
designs incorporating multiple samples.
- Train associates in the use of laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Executes special projects under the direction of the Packaging Section Manager or VP of R&D.
- Maintain Company corporate confidentiality standards for all interactions with outside vendors, suppliers,
and other parties.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree (Packaging, Material Science, or Engineering background preferred).
Experience: Requires 0-8 years of direct packaging industry experience (if new graduate, internship experience preferred).
Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently
and demonstrate personal leadership qualities.
- Ability to maintain consistent quality of work under
deadline pressure while maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze problems and apply
critical thinking to implement feasible solutions.
- Ability to research information using printed material,
internet resources, telephone, etc. to find solutions to problems.
- Knowledge of commonly used lab
instruments (e.g. balance/scales, calipers, etc.). Package testing equipment experience is a plus.
- Ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities with efficiency and accuracy.
in PC applications including word processing (e.g. Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (e.g. Excel), and web browsers.
- A collaborative approach & willingness to engage in an environment of active idea sharing.
- Sharp organizational skills & the ability to multi-task is a fast-paced environment.
- A continuous-improvement attitude for products, process, & self.
- Previous work experience in consumer products companies (personal care, cosmetics,
home cleaners, food/supplements, etc.) is preferred.
- Previous experience with Good Manufacturing Practices
and OTC products preferred.
- Familiarity with material testing procedures, such as ASTM, SPI, ISTA, etc.
- Familiarity with packaging-specific software (CAPE, TOPS, etc.)
- Familiarity or
proficiency in 3D CAD software (Solidworks, etc.)
- Familiarity or proficiency with IntellaPac specification