Company: For over three decades this privately held company with approximately 4,000 employees and revenues in
excess of $2B has been growing, most recently at 15%/year. They have 6 manufacturing plants and they produce and
distribute nutritional, pharmaceutical, personal care, facial care, home hygiene, and other wellness products. They
market directly to the consumer through a full-service catalog and Internet shopping system.
The Senior Packaging Engineer will perform a wide variety of technical tasks in support of specific new or existing Company
products, under the supervision of the Packaging Manager. He, or she, will provide technical guidance on packaging
material selection and design. In addition, they will recommend/specify appropriate product packaging, as well as
solve existing package related issues. These tasks are highly specific and usually require the use of quantitative methods
and the application of technical judgment to assist in the development of new packaging or to troubleshoot problems with
existing packaging configurations. They will also manage special projects as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop packaging solutions for new and existing
CPG products. Work with Marketing, R&D, Production, Engineering, & external partners to evaluate, qualify,
& recommend new designs & prototypes.
- Evaluate competitive products, Company products,
and trial compositions according to established procedures.
- Work with Packaging Technicians
to prepare samples & perform weight loss, compatibility, and functionality tests for trial compositions &
- Evaluate packaging components & technical drawings to determine acceptability
- Maintain accurate records of test results and observations; specifically lab notebooks &
- Frequent communication of critical information between key internal customer
groups (Marketing, Operations, R&D, etc.)
- Calibrate, operate, and maintain packaging test
- Provide support to Operations to solve packaging-related manufacturing problems.
& maintain packaging component specifications.
- Review and approve Finished Good specifications
and other packaging-related paperwork maintained by Document Control.
- Attend weekly Category team
meetings as a Packaging representative for the R&D Department.
- Use all available physical &
electronic resources to research technical problems and find solutions independently.
- Take ownership
of all packaging related issues within the company for both domestic and international products.
status of projects weekly to the Packaging Manager.
- Mentor and train Lab Technicians as needed.
- Represent the R&D/Packaging Dept. in support
of QA, Operations, Purchasing, and Marketing activities.
- Coordinate line trials of new or
alternate packaging components as part of the qualification process with Production & Engineering.
and work with China Manufacturing and INTL markets to oversee development and localization of new packaging
the creation of custom tooling projects for packaging components, including in-house molding projects.
information and samples from Company suppliers for testing and evaluation.
- Perform and summarize experimental
designs incorporating multiple samples.
- Train associates in the use of laboratory equipment and procedures.
special projects under the direction of the Packaging Section Manager or VP of R&D.
- Maintain Company
corporate confidentiality standards for all interactions with outside vendors, suppliers, and other parties.
other duties as assigned or needed.
Mentor and train Lab Technicians as needed.
Represent the R&D/Packaging Dept. in support of QA, Operations, Purchasing, and
Coordinate line trials of new/alternate packaging components with Production & Engineering.
works with China Manufacturing and INTL markets to oversee development and localization of new packaging.
Oversee the creation
of custom tooling projects for packaging components, including in-house molding projects.
Perform and summarize experimental
designs incorporating multiple samples and variables.
Train associates in the use of laboratory equipment and procedures.
Executes special projects
under the direction of the Packaging Section Manager or VP of R&D.
Maintain Company corporate confidentiality & ethical standards
for all interactions with outside vendors, suppliers, and other parties.
Perform other duties as assigned or needed.
Supervision of Others:
a Packaging Technician as needed.
Bachelor of Science degree (Packaging, Material
Science, or Engineering background preferred).
Requires 8-12 years of direct packaging industry
experience. Previous work experience in consumer products companies (personal care, cosmetics, home cleaners, food/supplements,
etc.) is preferred. Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Minimum Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate personal leadership qualities.
- Ability to
maintain consistent quality of work under deadline pressure while maintaining attention to detail.
to analyze problems and apply critical thinking to implement feasible solutions.
- Ability to
research information using printed material, internet resources, telephone, etc. to find solutions to problems.
- Knowledge of commonly used lab instruments (e.g. balance/scales, calipers, etc.). Package testing
equipment experience is a plus.
- Ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities
with efficiency and accuracy.
- Proficient in PC applications including word processing (e.g.
Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (e.g. Excel), and web browsers.
- A collaborative approach &
willingness to engage in an environment of active idea sharing.
- Sharp organizational skills
& the ability to multi-task is a fast-paced environment.
- A continuous-improvement attitude
for products, process, & self.
- Previous work
experience in consumer products companies (personal care, cosmetics, home cleaners, food/supplements, etc.) is
- Previous experience with Good Manufacturing Practices and OTC products preferred.
- Familiarity with material testing procedures, such as ASTM, SPI, ISTA, etc.
with packaging-specific software (CAPE, TOPS, etc.)
- Familiarity or proficiency in 3D
CAD software (Solidworks, etc.)
- Familiarity or proficiency with IntellaPac specification software.