Company: For over three decades this privately held company with approximately 4,000 employees and revenues in
excess of $2B has been growing, most recently at 15%/year. They have 6 manufacturing plants and they produce and
distribute nutritional, pharmaceutical, personal care, facial care, home hygiene, and other wellness products. They
market directly to the consumer through a full-service catalog and Internet shopping system.
Essential duties, responsibilities,
and qualifications of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat
to him/herself or others.
Position: The Packaging Engineer will perform a wide variety of technical
tasks in support of specific new or existing company products, under the supervision of the Packaging Section Manager.
Provide technical guidance on packaging material selection and design. Recommends/specifies appropriate product
packaging, as well as solves existing package related issues. These tasks are highly specific and usually require the use
of quantitative methods and the application of technical judgment to assist in the development of new packaging or to
troubleshoot problems with existing packaging configurations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop packaging solutions for new and existing CPG products. Work with
Marketing, R&D, Production, Engineering, & external partners to evaluate, qualify, & recommend new
designs & prototypes.
- Evaluate competitive products, Company products, and trial compositions according
to established procedures.
- Work with Packaging Technicians to prepare samples & perform weight loss,
compatibility, and functionality tests for trial compositions & packaging.
packaging components & technical drawings to determine acceptability for use.
accurate records of test results and observations; specifically lab notebooks & electronic records.
communication of critical information between key internal customer groups (Marketing, Operations, R&D, etc.)
operate, and maintain packaging test equipment.
- Provide support to Operations to solve packaging-related
- Create & maintain packaging component specifications.
and approve Finished Good specifications and other packaging-related paperwork maintained by Document Control.
weekly Category team meetings as a Packaging representative for the R&D Department.
- Use all available
physical & electronic resources to research technical problems and find solutions independently.
- Take ownership of all packaging related issues within the company for both domestic and international
- Document status of projects weekly to the Packaging Manager.
- Mentor and train Lab Technicians as needed.
- Represent the
R&D/Packaging Dept. in support of QA, Operations, Purchasing, and Marketing activities.
line trials of new or alternate packaging components as part of the qualification process with Production &
- Coordinate and work with China Manufacturing and INTL markets to oversee development
and localization of new packaging
- Oversee the creation of custom tooling projects for packaging
components, including in-house molding projects.
- Obtain information and samples from Company suppliers
for testing and evaluation.
- Perform and summarize experimental designs incorporating multiple
- Train associates in the use of laboratory equipment and procedures.
special projects under the direction of the Packaging Section Manager or VP of R&D.
- Maintain Company
corporate confidentiality standards for all interactions with outside vendors, suppliers, and other parties.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
May supervise a Packaging Technician as needed.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree (Packaging, Material Science, or Engineering background preferred).
Experience: Requires 3-5 years of direct packaging industry experience. Previous work experience in personal care,
cosmetics. Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Minimum Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate personal leadership qualities.
- Ability to
maintain consistent quality of work under deadline pressure while maintaining attention to detail.
to analyze problems and apply critical thinking to implement feasible solutions.
- Knowledge of
commonly used lab instruments (e.g. balance/scales, calipers, etc.). Package testing equipment experience
is a plus.
- Proficient in PC applications including word processing (e.g. Microsoft Word),
spreadsheet (e.g. Excel), and web browsers.
- Sharp organizational skills & the ability to
multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- A continuous-improvement attitude for products,
processes, & self..