The Packaging Engineer will work with minimal supervision to develop
packaging solutions for the brands assigned in Company’s product portfolio supporting both Hair Color and Intimate
Health. This individual will serve under the direction of the Associate Director and Manager of Packaging,
as a packaging developer in support of cost savings and base business continuity projects. This position will be a contributing
member on cross functional business teams and interface heavily with Purchasing, Planning, Manufacturing Facilities, R&D,
and Suppliers. In addition he, or she, will support the development of product/package concepts from exploration through
feasibility and ultimately implementation. The individual must be a self-starter who will monitor progress against timelines
and deliverable due dates.
Essential Functions - Under
- Provide packaging options. Develop, engineer, and
test packaging components and modify as necessary to meet consumer requirements, functional parameters, cost
targets, manufacturing & shipping requirements.
- Provide technical input to package design process
and assure package designed for manufacturing acceptability, while realizing desirable aesthetic elements.
assigned Package Development projects, working with Brand and project teams, to meet category objectives and project
ship to trade dates.
- Work effectively with Suppliers and Manufacturing to assure the creation of
timely functional specifications.
- Ultimate responsibilities will include providing formal project timelines for
management review, coordination and follow-up of inter-departmental related activities to ensure timeliness of execution.
priorities and issue project status reports / updates as required.
- Hold discussions during cross-functional
team meetings; communicate technical issues and details to the project team and management.
- Execute new
package designs and perform package component testing and qualification, working with suppliers, from engineering prints
to making models & prototypes, through to unit and production tooling.
- Write specifications in Company’s
specification data base system.
- Issue and update package test protocols and test methods as required.
Package Testing in support of development projects. Coordinate external testing labs as needed based on capabilities
and regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and issue Packaging Material Specifications as required. Proof and approve
BOM’s to ensure accuracy.
- Develop pallet patterns for new products and package redesign
- Develop strong relationships and communicate effectively to manage projects with Brand Managers,
- Development, Purchasing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Suppliers, and Company global counterparts.
domestically and internationally as required on assigned projects.
- Travel requirements are 10 to
20% per month, which may include overnight travel to other manufacturing, contract manufacturing and component manufacturing
- Review and approve supplier drawings to insure component functionality.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Engineering or Packaging Sciences (BS, BA, or
BS or MS in Packaging,
Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, or equivalent degree.
of 2-5 years of package development experience required, ideally with consumer products companies. Some
knowledge of packaging components and properties such as; paperboard (folding cartons, cards, labels) plastic processing;
injection & blow molding and extruded cast & blown films, aerosols, pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, flexible
films and laminations.
- Experience dealing with packaging component suppliers
- Experience with standard test methods as ASTM, GMPs, OTC package testing and protocols
to manage assigned projects, monitoring the status of all elements affecting the outcome of the program.
to prioritize and organize workload on multiple programs of low-to-medium complexity.
- Ability to
develop and implement schedules and ensure that engineering procedures are followed.
- Ability to
guide laboratory support personnel as required to accomplish a task.
- Ability to clearly communicate
technical and non-technical information via verbal presentation and in writing with management, team member and support
personnel with normal supervision.
Additional Skills & requirements:
- Capable of
quickly establishing relationships both internally and externally.
- Excellent organizational, prioritizing
and follow up skills.
- Exhibit a true sense of urgency in responding to customers.
- Good computer
skills. Proficiency with Word, Excel, Access/databases e-mail and internet applications. Microsoft project is
- Ability to handle multiple tasks / projects simultaneously.
- Ability to think and act independently
and make sound decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time.
- Strong problem-solving